Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Taste, A Museum, and A Woodie

Several weeks ago, I was honored to be one of the discriminating tasters of every restaurant on Main St. in Encinitas. OK, so friends of ours gave us an extra pass to "A Taste of Main Street." I was told early that it is impossible to taste all of the restaurants. I didn't believe them then and I still don't. Without a strategy, I made 18 of 30 places. I feel that with proper planning and a reasonable amount of fasting, I could have made all 30. Below, you can see the pass that I had which marks each place I got to sample and enjoy. Most were done on the street, but a few were done in the interior of the place. In at least one case, seeing the interior resulted in me taking Kate there on a date. Well played, When In Rome.



A few of them are in pencil, but I made 65% of the places on my first try!
If you visit us, you get to come to one of these places (please pick 3rd corner)!


Just a few weeks later as you know, Kate's parents came to visit. On our way out of Balboa Park, we saw that the Natural History Museum had an amazing exhibit of nature photography which was actually a juried competition. We LOVED it. We dragged Scott down from Aliso Viejo to come with us, and enjoyed a picnic in Balboa Park prior to investigating all the cool exhibits in the museum. I have to say that the picture that won third prize was of a turtle from the Grand Cayman Islands, which made us all think of my late cousin Emma, who had this enduring picture taken of her holding a sea turtle while she and Scott visited GC. Kate wonderfully noticed how Emma was with us all day - not only the sea turtle picture, but later that evening we stumbled upon a chocolatier (who I visited during A Taste of Main St) and Scott was astounded to see they had a location in Encinitas, as it was Emma's favorite place to find chocolate. It was a wonderful day to spend with Scott (and Emma!), and we are so lucky to have close family near us.

REMINDER: Please consider going to a museum SEPT 26. It's Annual Museum Day. I know for a fact there is a museum nearby that you have considered visiting. So just do it! And then tell us about it.

Finally, on the recommendation of friends in the area, we checked out the Woodies at Wavecrest. This was fascinating. I have seen classic cars before, but this is a new kind of dedication to preserving a car (and a lifestyle) that I had never seen before.








Follow this link to see our pictures of the day. What I really liked about the whole thing was that this happens in our town every year. It just adds a whole new dimension to our funny town. Kate and I were talking about how glad we are to have moved to Encinitas, and it is things like the Woodies that confirm we made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.